One girls DIY restoration of a cottage.

As far as possible we, me and MeWally, want an old age with low, or no, utility bills. We also happen to be stingey with money and will make as much eco stuff as we can and build it all into our tiny house.

So we'll have a comfortable home that's cheap to make and to run. RESULT!!

Friday 25 February 2011

Trimming A Kitchen - Friday 25.2.11


The kitchen in the Turnaround House has exposed gas pipes under the boiler, sooooo ugly.  


A strange box had been made out of MDF to hide the pipes, but it too, looked ugly. Sadly I don't have a shot of it in all it's horribleness.


I tiled it when I did the rest of the Kitchen, but had I no time to trim it off, all because Sams' place had the burst pipe - RAIN STOPPED PLAY. 

Today I added wooden trim to the top of it, and a tile and a half down another trim to mark a nasty looking step in the boxing. it looks smart now - which is surprising, as it dominated the field of view of anyone coming into the house, making a negative statement about the house and it's occupants as folks walked in. Now it looks as if it belongs. Once all the rest of the kitchen is trimmed, the effect will be harmonious, as if it was designed to look that way; which it was,


I LIMED and polished the trim (it's the very simple, narrow, skirt board that's so popular in eighties housing every where) before attaching it. Screwed and bracketed to hold it in place, having first stuck it with a GRAB ADHESIVE, so I could move it about and align it all to perfection. A quick grout around the join between the trim and the tiles, followed by a good clean up and this little job was done.

A couple more visits will see my work here done ..... until the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave your comments here as often as you fancy. I will read what you leave for me and may even post it here for everyone to enjoy. As I can't alter anything you write, please don't use my first name as I want to maintain my privacy. Ta.