One girls DIY restoration of a cottage.

As far as possible we, me and MeWally, want an old age with low, or no, utility bills. We also happen to be stingey with money and will make as much eco stuff as we can and build it all into our tiny house.

So we'll have a comfortable home that's cheap to make and to run. RESULT!!

Monday 10 January 2011

Saturday 8.1.11

This morning we fancied getting out into the bright, fresh air, for a long walk/cycle ride/paddle (canoe, not barefoot in the sea .... although that would be nice). Not a chance came the combined shout. One of us has Sciatica and the other one has promised to help up at Sams' place, this was the nearest I was getting to the sun today and that was a lot closer than MeWally got.


Everyone else had headed to the tip, meaning a queue had formed. All I wanted to do was throw away the rubbish Sam had sorted out yesterday.


I'm getting up the laminate flooring today. It had been under about an inch of water, much of which a team of us had mopped up on Boxing Day evening.


The skirt board and walls are beginning to show signs of immersion damage as the water wicks up from the sodden fibre board underlay.


It's a real pity as it was a good quality laminate with a long life guarantee and was well fitted and finished. Poor Sam.


So, up it all came. 


The dehumidifier was chuntering away in the porch.


At last there was only this one piece of laminate to come up, but that wasn't the end of my days work.


With the ground floor ripped up, I got on with the removal of the, now dry, stair carpet. The plasterboard backing the stairs has developed splits and cracks. It didn't enjoy its' bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave your comments here as often as you fancy. I will read what you leave for me and may even post it here for everyone to enjoy. As I can't alter anything you write, please don't use my first name as I want to maintain my privacy. Ta.