One girls DIY restoration of a cottage.

As far as possible we, me and MeWally, want an old age with low, or no, utility bills. We also happen to be stingey with money and will make as much eco stuff as we can and build it all into our tiny house.

So we'll have a comfortable home that's cheap to make and to run. RESULT!!

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Men! - Tuesday 18.1.11



Yesterday, BUILD CENTRE LET US DOWN - BADLY. They didn't bother to turn up with the LOFT INSULATION as arranged, nor did they bother to let us know! Luckily I had the sense to phone them and ask what the ---- was going on? They said they'd be here today instead!


When I arrived today, the insulation arrived at the same time, on account of we passed the truck, twigged it was our load and guided it to Sams' place. Shame a high percentage of the load was SOAKING WET. 
BLOODY IMBECILES. 
I sent the wet stuff back, called BUILD CENTRE, WORMLEY, BRISTOL, and discussed the fact that I've had a builder turn up, 2 days in a row, for nothing. They got the truck turned around and straight back to me. 


Meanwhile, back at the coalface, yesterday, Dave Leggy had done the master bedroom ceiling and Glyn Bowen had raised the height of the joists in the loft so that Sam can have both THICK INSULATION (270mm) and a floor. It'll be interesting to see what they get done today!




We got the skirt board off the living room walls.




On the back we could see the tide mark from the little Boxing Day flood.




The walls can dry out fully now.




The boards have been de-nailed and set aside, we may recycle them at some point. The living room will have higher, contemporary skirting, to conceal the very skinny, but ugly, ripple that runs around the plasterboard at low skirt board height.




Ted got on and painted some walls.




Dave got on and relined and plastered 2 more ceilings!




And Glyn carried on in the loft.



Why couldn't Glyn lay the dry  insulation I held onto this morning?? 
BECAUSE EVERY 100mm ROLL WAS WET- AND IT HAD TO GO DOWN FIRST.


We got a lot done though : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave your comments here as often as you fancy. I will read what you leave for me and may even post it here for everyone to enjoy. As I can't alter anything you write, please don't use my first name as I want to maintain my privacy. Ta.