One girls DIY restoration of a cottage.

As far as possible we, me and MeWally, want an old age with low, or no, utility bills. We also happen to be stingey with money and will make as much eco stuff as we can and build it all into our tiny house.

So we'll have a comfortable home that's cheap to make and to run. RESULT!!

Sunday 3 May 2015

New Bathroom Floorboards - Old Elm! - 24.4.15


We're going to be short of floorbpoards because we have to lay boards at 90degrees to their original orientation. That's to do with having had 2 layers of boards and now having just one layer. Think about it!

 So we cast around for something special and found these slightly wormy, rather wide, planks.
As you can see, they needed sanding as they were in the same state as when they were lifted; limed planks with black stained edges. Here in the UK the fashion was for oil cloth/lino/rugs to be at the centre of the room with the floor boards stained black where they showed, thus making a contrasting border.

Lovely grain; much more interesting than oak and so hard to get hold of since Dutch Elm disease decimated our population.

Can't wait to see them nailed down, but in the meantime, they're going to be sacked in our airy wood shed for safe keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave your comments here as often as you fancy. I will read what you leave for me and may even post it here for everyone to enjoy. As I can't alter anything you write, please don't use my first name as I want to maintain my privacy. Ta.