One girls DIY restoration of a cottage.

As far as possible we, me and MeWally, want an old age with low, or no, utility bills. We also happen to be stingey with money and will make as much eco stuff as we can and build it all into our tiny house.

So we'll have a comfortable home that's cheap to make and to run. RESULT!!

Thursday 25 November 2010

Turn Around House Thursday 25.11.10


Oh what a chilli day! I wore full mountaineering thermals - 4 layers on my top end and 3 on my tail end. 

Snug as a bug : )

Glad I didn't need to rush into hospital as it's not the most presentable outfit for a girly!


Vic came by and checked out the conservatory, he looked, we made a hole - to see what ply the plywood is, he measured, he made notes, he went away to source the wood for the job.

I stayed behind to prep for the decorators who want to be in and starting on Saturday. 


This is a dry lined house (as far as I can tell) and after 20 years, some of the tape used to cover the plasterboard joints has become unstuck. It looks a proper mess and on the joint between ceiling and wall, it's tricky to put right - invisibly. I've removed all the loose Artex and un-stuck tape. Used a spatula to scrape off the Artex and a Stanley blade to cut away the tape nice and cleanly.


Then it got really tricky with me struggling to match the smooth taped edge and the stippled Artexed ceiling. Here's one all finished. In all I had over a dozen patches to make good, plus all those little holes, in the walls and ceiling, from those wardrobes I took out last weekend.

This took over 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave your comments here as often as you fancy. I will read what you leave for me and may even post it here for everyone to enjoy. As I can't alter anything you write, please don't use my first name as I want to maintain my privacy. Ta.