One girls DIY restoration of a cottage.

As far as possible we, me and MeWally, want an old age with low, or no, utility bills. We also happen to be stingey with money and will make as much eco stuff as we can and build it all into our tiny house.

So we'll have a comfortable home that's cheap to make and to run. RESULT!!

Wednesday 14 April 2010

Stud Muffin

Tuesday 13.4.10

Stayed in all day waiting for Travis Perkins to get around to delivering. No show.Got loads done on the top floor so not a dead loss day.

Oh how shocked I was to wake up today and find our bedroom looking like this. Yes, yes, we all know it looked like this at the end of yesterday; see photo below, but, somehow, I hoped the mess was all a dream. SUCKER!!!  Now I've bobbed to the surface, dreamtime's been swept swiftly from my grasp, I reckon the  room looks OK in this piccy,


The window at the other end of the room also needs a lintel. That part of the room  will be a landing when the house is finished and will benefit from some rustic charm/character. I'm using an old oak fence post for the lintel. Again there is no structural purpose in using this lintel, it's purely pretty.



I had to rest the 'legs' of the battens on the garden fence as I worked to attach the lintel.I braced the legs It was outstandingly  unwieldy to lug up the 2 flights of  winding stairs to the loft. Pretty knackering. Looks really good now it's up. All I can say is, use new drill bits to work on well seasoned oak; metaphor for life?

Now it's up I can begin to envision the room plastered. The room plastered that is, though .....hmmm.... laters!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave your comments here as often as you fancy. I will read what you leave for me and may even post it here for everyone to enjoy. As I can't alter anything you write, please don't use my first name as I want to maintain my privacy. Ta.